Fish and Shellfish Caught in Canada

Published: July 25, 2016

It is lawful to possess Canadian-origin fish or SHELLFISH if you have a Canadian license and salmon conservation stamp (for SALMON), except it is unlawful to possess Canadian-origin yelloweye or canary rockfish. There are special rules for Canadian HALIBUT and SALMON. If you only fish in Canada, contact the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) or visit their website at www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca for updated Canadian regulations. If you fish for HALIBUT in Washington, the daily limit is one HALIBUT, and the possession limit is two HALIBUT, regardless of where they are taken. No more than one daily limit of HALIBUT may be possessed aboard the fishing vessel. You may not land both a Canadian and a Washington limit of SALMON on the same day (one or the other, but not both). It is unlawful to possess in marine waters, or deliver into Washington, any fresh SALMON taken for personal use from Canadian waters, unless such SALMON meet current regulations for the waters of the applicable Washington Catch Record Card area. However, if the vessel operator has a valid Canadian customs clearance number obtained once they are in Canadian waters, fishers aboard the vessel may deliver Canadian-origin SALMON into Washington that are lawfully taken in Canada, regardless of whether the SALMON meet the current regulations for the area where delivered. Visit www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-ppeng.html or call 1-888-226-7277 for the Canada Border Services Agency.